Girlguiding is the leading charity for girls and young women in the UK. Thanks to the dedication and support of 100,000 amazing volunteers, we are active in every part of the UK, giving girls and young women a space where they can be themselves, have fun, build brilliant friendships, gain valuable life skills and make a positive difference to their lives and their communities. We build girls’ confidence and raise their aspirations. We give them the chance to discover their full potential and encourage them to be a powerful force for good.
Brownies – We do cool stuff
Brownies are girls aged seven to ten who become a member of a Six and follow a programme called the Brownie Adventure. Brownies opens up a world of exciting challenges and the opportunity to try new things and to make brilliant friends.
Guides – We make things happen
Guides are girls aged 10 to 14 who are given the chance to explore their individual skills and abilities and try out new challenges as part of a team. Girls can get involved in anything from adventure sports to performing arts, travel and taking part in community action projects
What makes guiding special?
We are for all girls
We are for all girls and young women, whatever their background and circumstances. We offer them fun, exciting activities and the chance to make life-long friends.
- We are open to all girls – of all faiths and none.
• Our groups are fully integrated to include girls with disabilities, we offer grants to ensure that they and their carers can join us on camps and trips.
• We employ outreach workers to encourage membership in hard-to-reach communities.
We give girls their own space
We give girls a space where they can really be themselves with other girls and share the experience of growing up as a girl in today’s world.
- We know from our research that being girl-only is one of the things our young members value most about guiding.
• Our Girls in Action project educates girls about sensitive issues affecting their peers around the world like violence against women, street children and girls’ education.
We give girls a voice
We give the girls the confidence, skills and information to make informed decisions. We show girls how they can speak out and take positive action to improve their lives and the lives of others.
- We produce the UK’s largest annual survey of girls’ opinions – Girls’ Attitudes – on issues from role models and equality, to university fees and plastic surgery.
• We have a dedicated youth advocacy panel called Advocate! to help girls speak out publicly about issues they care about.
We change as the lives of girls change
We are relevant to today’s girls because we listen to them and constantly evolve and adapt what we offer them without losing what makes us uniquely us.
- Twice a year Girlguiding hosts the BIG GIG – a massive pop concert for more than 20,000 Guides – with performances from some of the biggest and most popular current artists.
• Our camps, holidays and trips give girls the chance to try new adventures, from quad-biking, orienteering and abseiling, to zorbing, canoeing and zip-wiring.
Volunteer with Girlguiding
Girlguiding is the leading charity for girls and young women in the UK. By volunteering with us, you can help us create amazing opportunities for thousands of girls around the UK.
Guiding happens thanks to more than 100,000 amazing volunteers – men and women like you who give their time to ensure that we are active all over the UK, and beyond.
If you would like to volunteer with Girlguiding please register your interest at https://enquiryv.girlguiding.org.uk/
For more information about Girlguiding please visit the guiding website https://www.girlguiding.org.uk